Older Americans deserve the benefits they have earned from a government that keeps their promises. We believe that preserving the financial security of older Americans can best be accomplished by adhering to the following policies:
- Protection of the Social Security Trust Fund.
- Equitable treatment of seniors in COLA and other related calculations.
- Opposition to taxes on Social Security benefits.
- Development and enforcement of appropriate laws and codes of conduct for the financial services industry and its professionals.
- Aggressive enforcement of financial crimes against the vulnerable elderly, including identity theft.
- Opposition to means-testing in Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D, and in Social Security.
- Oppose the following specific taxes:
- Social Security Earnings Test.
- Taxes on capital gains, dividend, and interest income.
- National sales or value-added taxes.
- Rules that make tax-free municipal bond income taxable for seniors.
- Rules that would threaten the tax-free or tax-deferred savings vehicles now in place.
- Excessive gas taxes that limit senior travel.
- Excessive energy taxes which disproportionately impact seniors.
- Sales taxes on Internet purchases.
- Tariffs and trade policy that raises prices on food, clothes, and energy.
- Support of the availability of good reverse mortgages with adequate regulation and supervision.
- Limit property taxes and support senior exemptions.